At Perrymount when planning our curriculum we aim to ensure that it is:
- Broad – providing a wide range of knowledge, skills and experiences
- Balanced – so that each element is given sufficient time to contribute effectively to learning
- Relevant – directly relating to the learner’s experiences
- Coherent – so that each element is linked, to make the learning experience more meaningful
- Progressive – so that what is taught builds upon what has gone before, to develop skills, knowledge and concepts in a systematic and appropriate way
- Differentiated – so that what is taught is matched to aptitude, ability and achievement
- Diverse – to cater for academic and creative talents
Our aim is not only to provide a good education but the right education for all children. At the heart of our curriculum is the Rights Respecting ethos and the Global Learning citizenship dimensions. A curriculum which we believe promotes participation by the children and which encourages them to question, reflect, imagine, investigate, explore and communicate their learning. And this led us to create an exciting education based upon the National Curriculum throughout the school.
Developing every child’s literacy and numeracy skills are central to our curriculum and our planning and teaching. Each and every day, we focus specifically on these skills and apply them across our cross curricular themed learning. Our cross curricular approach to learning encourages creativity and endeavours to develop children’s confidence and cooperation. Our curriculum is designed to help children learn the subject knowledge, skills and understanding they need to be aware of the world around them and develop personal skills, they need to take part in our world throughout their lives. Teacher’s deliver the National Curriculum through a topic themed approach adapted regularly to reflect out locality and the children’s enjoyment in particular topics.
We pride ourselves on the provision we offer our children and the opportunities they have and to sustain this, every year we review our curriculum taking into account the needs and interests of our children and community and adapting it accordingly. We aspire for all children to develop a love for learning and to develop a resilience in order to meet challenges
Click the links to the left to find out more in each area or year group.